Hair care Tips to follow at home
Taking care of our hair is no small task. Am I right, ladies? Well, fetter no more. In this article, you will be given some fantastic and highly accessible yet the most result giving hair care tips you can follow to take care of your hair at the comfort of your home. This is a complete introductory hair care guide as I have included both the basic and the advanced hair care tips to follow at home. Make sure you stick to them so you can thank me later!
Basic hair care tips to follow at home.
- The Best way to comb your hair
- Importance of Oiling your hair regularly
- Proper ways to wash your hair
Advanced hair care tips to follow at home.
- How to avoid premature greying of hair
- How to grow your hair faster
- Simple DIYs easy to do at home
The Best way to comb your hair
Are you wondering why your hair remains frizzy despite every product you use? It might be because of the way you comb. Yes, you heard that right! This might seem simple, but combing your hair plays a significant role in hair care. When you don’t correctly comb your hair, it might lead to frizziness/dryness/breakage. There are times when you should and shouldn’t be using a comb.
Let’s start with when you should use a comb,
- You should comb your hair every single day at least for 3 minutes. The advantage here is it provides circulation to your scalp. Also, combing removes hair knots. Hair knots, when left undone, cause severe breakage of hair.
- You should comb your hair when you are oiling as it is very relaxing and gives excellent circulation to the scalp.
- Always untangle your hair before you go for a hair wash. Try using neem wood comb as they are the gentlest, and your hair deserves the gentleness.
When you shouldn’t use a comb,
- When your hair is wet, don’t go near a comb. It causes more breakage than usual and leads to frizzy hair once it is dry.
- Never use a comb when your hair is tangled too much. Use your hand to loosen the knots, and then use the broad side of the comb. This will reduce a lot of breakages.
This is one of the easiest hair care tips to follow at home.
Importance of oiling your hair regularly.
I cannot stress this enough; Oil does wonders to your hair growth and hair care ritual. It provides hydration and prevents your hair from drying. It strengthens your hair, stimulates hair growth, controls frizz and protects your hair from heat damage.
It also improves your scalp health by providing gentle exfoliation as you massage your scalp after oiling.
It is one of the most time-tested steps in haircare, and it will never go out of fashion. You can use any oil you have at home, for starters. But it is better to use the oil that your scalp needs as it will provide the desired result.
You could use some of these techniques while oiling your hair for enhanced results.
- Generally, you can leave the oil overnight on your scalp; if you are uncomfortable with it, leave it for at least 2 hours.
- Ensure you wash off the oil thoroughly when shampooing your hair but not overdo it.
Proper ways to wash your hair
How you wash your hair is an essential step in your haircare routine. How often you wash your hair and what kind of shampoo you use all determines the health of your hair. These are some of the haircare tips to follow at home on your hair wash day.
- Don’t wash your hair daily. This will cause breakage and dryness.
- Look out for the drying sulphates and ditch shampoos made with them, as these chemicals are added as foaming agents to form a lather.
- If you exercise every day and therefore have to wash your hair daily, make sure you use shampoo with the lowest ph as it doesn’t rip off the moisture.
- Massage your scalp and roots with gentle pressure. It improves blood circulation.
- Use lukewarm to cold water to rinse your hair as it gives a better shape to the hair after it is dry. A cold rinse at the end wouldn’t hurt as it maximises hair shine.
- Towel dry your hair and always use a heat protectant if you plan to use a hot tool.
Avoid premature greying of hair.
There are many reasons why premature greying might happen. Some of them are treatable, and some are not. Unfortunately, premature greying of hair caused due to ageing and genetics cannot be prevented or reversed. But the good news is the treatable reasons can be addressed using the hair care tips you can follow at home given right here.
- Vitamin deficiencies might be a reason for premature greying, which can be reversed by increasing vitamin intake.
- Smoking not only causes cancer but also gives you grey hair. So quit smoking and enjoy a healthy life with thick black hair.
- Eat food rich in antioxidants to maintain the collagen or the collective tissues in your hair follicles.
- Regular intake of curry leaves can strengthen hair growth. There are multiple ways to use curry leaves to take care of your hair. You can directly eat the curry leaves or use the oil infused with curry leaves.
How to grow your hair faster.
- Split ends are the enemies of healthy hair as it inhibits hair growth and makes hair dry, dull and tangled. To avoid split ends, you have to trim your hair regularly.
- When you shampoo your hair every day, you flush out the natural hair oils essential to maintaining healthy hair. So don’t shampoo every day.
- Hair masks nourish your hair and replenish vital nutrients to enhance hair growth. Choose the kind of hair mask your hair needs and mask it up.
- Deep conditioning regularly (not daily) can make all the difference for dry, frizzy hair. Proteins and lipids are present in the hair shaft. Deep conditioning replaces the old proteins and lipids with a new one in the hair shaft and seals the cuticle.
- Using silk pillow covers instead of the regular cotton ones can make a difference in hair growth. Cotton pillow covers remove the outer cuticle layers of the hair and cause frizziness and damage. Silk pillow covers are smooth and cause much less friction.
- People experience stunts in hair growth due to deficiency in nutrient intake. This can be addressed by taking the necessary supplements. Omega -3, Biotin and Multivitamins can help in faster hair growth.
- Bleaching is terrible for hair, so stay away from it. The fewer chemical treatments your hair undergoes, the healthier your hair is.
- One of the simplest ways to stimulate hair growth is by giving yourself a scalp massage. It also boosts blood circulation and strengthens hair.
- The most underrated reason for hair fall is stress. It is one of the most common causes of hair fall, and to avoid it, you can practise meditation, yoga or stress-relieving exercises. Having a good amount of sleep also reduces stress, so try to get eight hours of sleep every day for healthy hair growth.
Simple DIYs easy to follow at home
These DIYs are easy, but they should be done right to get the desired results.
Rice water rinse
Disclaimer – Rice water rinse should not be done often by people whose hair is sensitive to protein. Long intervals should be maintained (once a month). Please do not use this on the flaky scalp, as it will only increase the build-up.
This is a well-known recipe followed by the Yao community women who, by the way, look like real-life Rapunzel’s. They don’t use shampoo to wash their hair. They mix some herbs and natural surfactants into the rice water and use it as a shampoo once every three days.
Prepare the rice water – Take one cup of white rice and rinse it. Remove the rinsed water. Now, add fresh water to the rinsed rice (for one cup of rinsed rice, add four cups of filtered water). Wash and extract the rice water. Take any citrus peels to add to the extracted rice water and boil it for ten minutes. Let it cool down and transfer it to a jar to ferment for 24 hours. Your rice water is now ready!
Using the rice water – You can invert your hair and rinse it like the Yao women or pour it on your hair and let it sit for 20 minutes. Rewash your hair after using it. This is a fantastic hair care tip to follow at home, but do not overuse this one.
If your hair is sensitive to protein – dilute the rice water while using it and not while fermenting it. Use it just on your lengths and hair end and use it once a month.
Do not use brown rice use only plain white rice to make the rice water. You can keep one batch for one week max, so keep making fresh batches for usage.
Clove water to increase hair growth
Benefits of clove – Clove has numerous benefits for healthy hair growth. It contains a compound called Eugenol that helps in this process. Regular usage of clove oil can increase the strength of damaged hair and provide silkiness to the locks.
If used continuously, it can slow down the premature greying of hair by speeding up the pigment production process, which maintains the hair’s natural colour. Clove adds shine to your hair; the antifungal and antimicrobial properties present in them help fight dandruff.
How to make clove water – Take around 15 cloves and add them to one cup of water. Boil it for 10 minutes and after it cools, strain the solution in a spray bottle. Spray it on a damp scalp and massage. You don’t need to wash it off.
Disclaimer – Discontinue using it if you feel a burning sensation in your scalp.
Flaxseed gel DIY
One of the most popular ingredients in the hair care world is flaxseed gel. There are many benefits to it that I will not bore you with. But you still have to know these as they are why we are making this gel. It helps your hair grow from within and also externally.
It nourishes your hair by providing moisture and making it look fluffy, and treating damaged hair. Making the flaxseed gel is a messy process. But it can be done at home, and it is absolutely worth it.
How to make flaxseed gel – Take 1/4th cup of flax seeds and add it to two cups of water. Boil the mixture on medium heat for 10 minutes and keep stirring it to make sure the seed doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. You will begin to see the formation of the gel. When the consistency of the gel is neither too thick nor too runny, turn off the flame. Keep it aside for 30 minutes to cool down. As it gets cooled, the gel will thicken. Extract the gel by squeezing it out using a cotton cloth.
How to use flaxseed gel – You can use it as a pre-shampoo mask by applying it to damp hair. Your hair will drink it all up! And then follow the regular shampoo-conditioner routine. It will tame your frizzy hair right away. To enhance the benefits further, you can make these two kinds of pre-shampoo hair masks using flaxseed gel –
- Flaxseed gel + Aloe gel + Almond oil
- Flaxseed gel + coconut oil + Honey
Aloe hair rinse is a simple yet effective method that smoothens your hair and reduces frizz. Mix a spoonful of aloe into one cup of drinking water. Post hair washes, pour it on your hair and don’t rewash it. That’s all! It is as simple as that.
I hope this article helps you in your hair care journey. All the hair care tips given above are easy to follow at home.
Hey there! Nice to meet you
My name is Manjushree,My passion is blogging.This site about your haircare, skincare, makeup, beauty, style, fitness, and lifestyle. All beauty and health tips are natural.Thank you for reading our posts. Stay blessed!!